Refresh your Windows 8 Machine: No need to format :)
If you’re having problems with Windows 8, you may want to refresh or reset your installation.
Refreshing Windows 8 will not change or remove your personalization settings and will not delete your personal files. Your PC’s settings are restored to their defaults and any applications you personally installed (not through the Windows Store) will be removed. Apps installed through the Windows Store will remain.
When you reset your Windows 8 PC, it’s like restoring it to the state it was in when you bought it. All your personal files are deleted and all configuration changes are reset to the defaults.
Note: Refreshing your system will require you to insert DVD to complete the procedure. The following articles shows you how to refresh or reset Windows 8 without the DVD
Refresh or Reset Your Windows 8 system without the DVD
- The first thing you need to do is create a new folder on the root of your primary drive and call it “Windows8Files”
- Now insert your DVD into your PC, or mount the ISO File and navigate to à D:\sources
- Copy the install.wim file off your DVD into the Windows8Files folder we just created.
- Next we need to launch and administrative command prompt, so hit Start+X and select Command Prompt (admin) from the context menu.
- Now we need to run the following command:
reagentc.exe /setosimage /path C:\Windows8Files /target C:\Windows /Index 1
- Now you can refresh or reset you PC as normal, except it won’t ask you to insert your DVD.